Posted & filed under Wills.

I want to make a simple change in my Will. Can I just cross out words I want to change and initial? This is a common question we get from our clients. The answer is a resounding no.

Under the laws of the State of Georgia and many other states, in order to modify a Will, you must use the same formalities as in the execution of the original Will in order for the changes to be valid.

Often, clients will just want to change the guardian of their minor children. While this is a minor change, it will still require a formal codicil to be properly executed. The substance of the codicil is relatively straightforward, but even such a simple codicil will be two pages.

If you have questions about changes to your own Will, feel free to give us a call.